Instrumentation & Controls - Onsite Training
(Delivered to Customer Location)
Onsite Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) Training Courses:
We will bring our training equipment to your location and provide high quality, hands-on training that is tailored to your personnel, your schedule, your equipment & systems, and your specific training needs.
We work with you to design a course that will achieve the desired objectives for your team.
Our onsite training classes can be very cost-effective and result in dramatic improvements in your team's skill and performance levels.
Some of the benefits of having training delivered at customer's location include:
- Flexible schedules (back shifts, weekends, split-shifts to allow maintenance and production support, skill or experience level split groups, etc.)
- Simplifies logistics and lost time for your personnel
- Reduce travel cost of traveling to remote locations (hotels, airfare, rental cars & fuel, food, etc.)
- Avoid potential travel delays or other problems
Our onsite training offerings can include skillset needs assessments, development of training plans & curriculum, development of standard and customized training materials and resources, remote progress checks, mentoring, and guidance for each individual or for groups, or whatever your team needs. We think out of the box to solve your training needs. Give us a call today to see how we might help your team!
Detailed Info - Onsite Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) Training Courses:
(Note - Course can be modified to meet customer's specific needs and goals)
Onsite Course Length: 2 to 5 days per customer needs
Percent Hands-on: 25 - 75% per customer needs
This course introduces students to the core fundamentals involved with modern industrial instrumentation, measurement, calibration, and controls. This course places heavy emphasis on the topics that are often missed in other training programs and are usually misunderstood in industry.
This course is useful for anyone from a mechanic or operator needing to better understand the instrumentation associated with their equipment or systems to senior instrument technicians and top-level professional control engineers. The topics presented are based on decades of expert observations of the problems and mistakes made throughout the instrumentation and controls fields.
The first part of this course will utilize Rosemount® Smart transmitters connected to an analog input with scaled indicator, as well as Fluke® process meters / calibrators, and HART Communicators to allow students to dig deep into the real-world issues that are encountered in the field.
The ‘big picture’ objectives of typical Instrumentation systems will be the center point of discussions and training, to include process safety, process control, and regulatory compliance/reporting.
The controls portion of this course will utilize Rosemount® Smart Transmitters that the students will setup, configure, calibrate, and troubleshoot.
This course will cover all of the underlying concepts that even many senior technicians do not fully understand, and which often cause mistakes and problems in the field.
- Understand the 4-20mA control loop and how to effectively test and troubleshoot analog IO problems.
- Understand the operation of modern SMART transmitters and gain familiarity with the common functionality and the common mistakes and misconceptions associated with them.
- Understand instrument and transmitter calibration concepts, including common errors, best practices for calibration programs, etc.
- Learn to utilize common instrumentation test and calibration equipment such as process meters, calibrators, and HART communicators.
- Understand signal noise and the importance of proper signal filtering (damping) and the safety and control performance problems that incorrect filtering can cause.
- Understand typical instrumentation calibration & maintenance programs and common mistakes and problems.
- Understand the operation and concepts behind typical control valves, actuators, and positioners.
- Understand basics of feedback control and typical methods used (analog, on/off control, integrating/ramping control, PWM, etc.)
- Become familiar with the operation of common types of controllers and control systems used within the instrumentation field and with the typical hierarchy of plant control & shutdown systems.
- Learn the basic concepts behind PID controls and be able to recognize common field induced problems in process control performance.
- Understand how to troubleshoot each of the following types of common instrumentation performance problem causes (deadtime and lag, noise, actuators and control elements, nonlinearity, operating outside effective range of control, reset windup / process saturation, etc.)
- Become familiar with common process control strategies and methods.
- Understand potential process safety issues and mistakes when working with instrumentation.
- Gain basic familiarity with Safety Instrumented System (SIS) testing, per IEC 61511.
Setup, configure, test, and calibrate typical smart transmitters using modern calibration equipment and HART communicators. Some of the specific lab exercises covered include:
- 4-20mA loop concepts and troubleshooting
- Smart transmitter functionality (how they are different from old analog transmitters and why they must be treated very differently).
- Transmitter damping labs
- RTD testing, calibration, and mistakes lab
- Thermocouple testing, calibration, and mistakes lab
- Smart transmitter configuration details (including damping, AI trim, AO trim, test outputs, fault settings, alerts/alarms, etc.
- Calibrating transmitters (and common mistakes and problems, and best practices)
- Understanding instrumentation accuracy, errors, tolerances, etc.
- Troubleshooting 4-20mA loops, transmitters, analog IO, scaling problems, etc.
- Level DP troubleshooting and configuration demos
- Flow DP troubleshooting and misconceptions demos
- Control loop setup, tuning, and troubleshooting demos
- Analyze, optimize, and troubleshoot control system performance.
- Perform typical Safety Instrumented Systems proof testing for a SIL rated instrument function (as applicable)
Contact us today or submit an onsite course request form to get information and a detailed quotation for customized onsite training delivered to your team at your location!